ABQ Warehouse District

February 14, 2011

Inside out art center, beijing, china

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 9:36 pm

Inside Out Art Center

Beijing China

Atelier 11 Architects

cultural facility in beijing, china. consisting of studios, lofts, exhibition centers. The project is built within the existing structure of an old factory. enovated in multiple stages, the architects aimed to preserve as much of the original elements as possible. a large portion of the dark brick envelop was kept intact while  the steel framing was exposed on the interior as both structural and aesthetic elements.

A sculptural addition to the north serves as an external passage way shaped as a zigzag that connects the sales office to the multi-functional art center. an elevated catwalk connects the museum to a public pathway beyond the park, allowing visitors to experience the approach from a different advantage point.

Old building

Exterior View

 

Inside of the Art Gallery

 

 

 

 

 

Natural Capital Center Adaptive Reuse (Grace)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 9:20 pm

Natural Capital Center

721 NW 9th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97209

Henry Hobson Richardson

The first LEED Gold historic building in the nation. This 1895 warehouse is situated in a revitalizing urban district of Portland, Oregon. The brick and timber structure originally designed as a warehouse and transfer station. The first floor now features a range of businesses—including an outdoor clothing store, a pizzeria, a coffee shop, a health services center, and a bank—surrounding a public atrium. The second and third floors provide a public atrium and mezzanine space, a conference center for business and community events, and office space for businesses and nonprofit organizations as well as the City of Portland’s Office of Sustainable Development. It has a total of 70,000 Ft2, Completed in 2001.

  • 98% of construction debris reused or reclaimed
  • 75% of existing building shell reused
  • 50% of materials harvested locally
  • 20% energy savings achieved via efficient windows, lighting fixtures and ventilation system
  • Daylight is available in 75% of indoor spaces
  • FSC-certified, sustainably harvested wood used throughout
  • Rainwater is filtered and absorbed through bioswales and on ecoroof – protecting the Willamette River
  • Environmentally innovative interior materials such as recycled paint, wheatboard cabinets, and rubber flooring from recycled tires

 

This building it started out in 1895 as a warehouse for the J. McCracken Company. It was named Central Truck Terminal in the 1930s and from 1941 to 1997 it housed the Rapid Transfer & Storage Company.

Present Ecotrust Natural Capital Center

 

Exterior shot of the Back

 

Interior View

 

Interior View

The Wyckoff Exchange Adaptive Reuse (Grace)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 8:31 pm
The Wyckoff Exchange
22-28 Wyckoff Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11237

Andre Kikoski Architect

 

Two old warehouses in the heart of Wykcoff Avenue have been “adaptively reused” into the new Wyckoff Exchange completed in 2010. With a total area of 1000 sq. ft. this new venue will accommodate a Live music Radio named Radio Bushwick, an organic market and a boutique wine shop.

The façade has a very ingenues and modern look. Relying upon motorized door technology adapted from airplane hangars and factory buildings, during the day Five pairs of moving panels fold up to create awnings for the stores, and some protection for the pedestrians.By night, they secure the shops behind them, while an abstract gradient of laser-cut perforations over semi-concealed LED lights makes the panels appear to glow from within.

“We chose materials for this façade that are both industrial and artistic,” says Kikoski. “Our use of two restrained materials references the urban textures, surfaces, and character of the neighborhood. The surface quality of the raw, unfinished COR-TEN steel is elegantly transformed into a Rothko-like canvas by the setting sun, and the shimmering layer of perforated factory-grade stainless steel just two inches behind it forms a perfect complement.”

After the project was finished, the streets started to look much better. It brings to the town a different feeling of progress and safety.

Warehouse before being adapted and reuse

 

Facade of Wyckoff Exchange during the night

 

Steel Door overhang

 

When all the overhangs are opened they create extra shade to the pedestrians

Warehouse Adaptive Reuse Precedent 03 :: The Green Building (Windy)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses, Uncategorized — celladdition @ 7:29 pm

The Green Building is located in the NuLu Louisville arts district in Louisville Kentucky.  It is an adaptive reuse of a historic drygoods warehouse. The architects challenge was to deal with the buildings narrowness.  In addition, they repurposed as much wood and other materials as possible for the project.

The Green Building (link to the proposal)

Warehouse Adaptive Reuse Precedent (stevealano)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 4:20 am
508 First Street NW
Albuquerque, NM, 87102
505.296.2738
info@warehouse508.org

 

 

Warehouse 508 by NMX Sports is a youth-focused, youth-driven avenue to introduce, develop and professionally implement skills in the arts, music, outdoor recreation and non-traditional sports through mentorships, lifestyle events and entrepreneurial opportunities to enhance New Mexico youth’s quality of life and community involvement in a safe, structured and supervised environment.

The City of Albuquerque bought the 27,000 square foot Ice House property in 2006 with the intention of creating the Albuquerque Teen Arts and Entertainment Center which would provide a safe venue for entertainment and educational opportunities for young people in Albuquerque. The purchase and subsequent renovation of the property by Greer Stafford SJCF Architecture has provided an opportunity for the City to establish its commitment to provide a safe, creative center, where young people can spend their time developing artistic talents and unique skill sets in the performing arts. The center is modeled after Santa Fe’s Warehouse 21.

Before

 

After

Warehouse Adaptive Reuse Precedent (stevealano)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 4:04 am

Dia:Beacon

3 Beekman Street
Beacon, NY 12508
845.440.0100
http://www.diaart.org

In May 2003, Dia Art Foundation opened Dia: Beacon, Riggio Galleries, as a museum to house its renowned permanent collection of major works of art from the 1960s to the present. Located on the Hudson River in Beacon, New York, Dia: Beacon occupies a nearly 300,000 sf historic printing factory. Since its founding in 1974, Dia has been dedicated to supporting individual artists and to providing long-term, in-depth presentations of their art. Dia: Beacon’s expansive galleries have been specifically designed for the display of the artworks to which Dia is committed, many of which, because of their character or scale, could not be easily accommodated by more conventional museums.

Dia: Beacon occupies a former Nabisco (National Biscuit Company) box printing facility built in 1929 and designed by Nabisco’s staff architect Louis N. Wirshing, Jr. The building’s most recent owner, International Paper, donated the property to Dia in 1999. The former factory is built of brick, steel, concrete, and glass, and is considered a model of early twentieth century industrial architecture. Design elements include broad spans between supporting columns, and more than 34,000-square-feet of skylights which create an exceptional environment for viewing works of contemporary art in natural light. These features were an important part of Dia’s decision to site the museum there, as was its location on the banks of the Hudson River only a five-minute walk from the Metro-North Hudson Line train station in Beacon, sixty miles north of New York City.

To renovate the building, Dia asked American artist Robert Irwin to formulate a plan that would retain the original character of the factory, while accommodating its twenty-first century museum function. In collaboration with the architecture firm OpenOffice, a sensitive master plan was devised for the museum building and its exterior setting. Additionally, Irwin designed seasonally-changing gardens and a parking lot in which each car is matched with a flowering fruit tree.

Before

After

Warehouse Adaptive Reuse Precedent (stevealano)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 3:36 am
402 East Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
269.373.4373
http://www.arcusfoundation.org

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Arcus Foundation, a nonprofit formed in 2000 to promote civil and animal rights, commissioned Cambridge Seven Associates to redevelop a 23,000 sf historic railroad depot and a nearby warehouse. Constructed in 1874, the Italianate-style depot is listed on the Michigan Register of Historic Places. Its transformation into Arcus’ new home has sparked regeneration of the neglected neighborhood in Kalamazoo, MI.

Cambridge Seven Associates have created spaces that encourage interaction and communication among Arcus’ staff and the groups it supports. Symbolizing these connections, the project’s centerpiece is a 1,500 sf “winter garden,” located as a linking structure between the depot and the warehouse. Constructed of steel and glass, the winter garden provides a modern foil to the depot’s older masonry construction. It provides year-round space for meetings, conferences, and public gatherings. The warehouse contains an additional 10,000 square feet of meeting rooms. Arcus’ administrative offices and space for other community groups are located in the depot.

Nehil-Sivak structural engineers worked with the architects on repairing and restoring the depot’s masonry, structure and floor framing, as well as preserving timber trusses and wood framing in the warehouse. The team also recreated and preserved elaborately carved wooden brackets along a large open porch that runs the length of the depot’s western elevation. Meanwhile, on the eastern elevation they added a long glass corridor to connect meeting spaces. This circulation spine recalls a loading dock that had occupied the same site during the warehouse’s earlier incarnation.

Warehouse Adaptive Reuse Precedent (stevealano)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 3:06 am

Ford Point

1414-1422 Harbour Way South
Richmond, CA 94804

The Ford Assembly Plant in Richmond, California, was the largest of its kind on the West Coast: a 517,000 sf factory on the edge of San Francisco Bay supplied by water and conceived as a single linear space, 1/4 mile long, beneath a saw-tooth roof that flooded the work spaces with indirect daylight. Designed by Albert Kahn in 1931 with minimal ornamentation on except for the streamlined deco detailing at either end, the plant was converted for wartime production on in World War II. After the war, Ford restart automobile assembly, however, that ended in February 1953. The factory was closed down in 1956 due to its inability to meet increased production on demands.

The building was empty when its new owner, the City of Richmond, placed it on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. One year later, the Loma Prieta earthquake caused major damage. For the next 15 years, the city spent $20 million on seismic upgrades while being courted by developers who arrived with big plans only to edge away. Finally, Richmond sold the building to Orton Development in 2004 for $5.4 million.

Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects made as few visual interventions as possible — in part to focus attention on the factory’s innate dignity but also to ensure that the project would receive the historic tax credits needed for its financing package. All exterior work was done under the eye of the State Historic Preservation Office and the National Park Service. The architects had a freer hand elsewhere in the interior: carving space to meet tenant’s demands. The adapted Ford Point (as it is now called) is a model of sustainable design.

 

February 13, 2011

Warehouse Adaptive Reuse Precedent 02 :: LA Design Center (windy)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 8:56 pm

LA Design Center – Los Angeles, CA

This project involved the transformation of two derelict warehouses in South Los Angeles (formerly called South Central) into the first phase of a new showroom district whose purpose is to serve the area’s many furniture manufacturers. The project also includes venues for cultural events. Part of a four-phase master plan, it contributes to the economic renewal of this historically overlooked neighborhood with 20,000 square feet of exterior event space and 80,000 square feet of flexible interior space.

Here is the link to the architects page for this project.  Pay particular attention to how the designers took over the parking space and transformed it into a flexible use, parking and event space.

John Friedman Alice Kimm Architects

Warehouse Adaptive Reuse Precedent 01 :: NDSM Shipyard (windy)

Filed under: Adaptive Reuse Warehouses — celladdition @ 8:04 pm

AMSTERDAM: NDSM SHIPYARD

A former shipyard on the northern banks of the IJ and larger than 10 football fields, the NDSM wharf is now a center for underground culture in Amsterdam. This huge area contains the NDSM hall, a hangar-like structure 20,000 sq. meters in area and 20 meters in height, the 6,000-sq. meter Docklandshal and two historic ship slipways(Hellingen) housing workshops and artists’ studios.

The NDSM wharf offers facilities for a number of artistic disciplines and small crafts. The wharf has also become a sanctuary for individual artists and craftspeople as well as for independent organizations, both established and less known, to cooperate, inspire and create.

The NDSM hall, 100 by 200 meters, houses Section 4, the Kunststad, the Vrije Kavelstrook, the Oostvleugel and the Noordstrook. In total there are 10,000 sq. meters of workshops, a 2,000-sq. meter skate park, 4,200 sq. meters devoted to other youth activities and 6,000 sq. meters of exhibition and theater space.

Kunststad (Art City) is a complex of artists’ studios and workshops on one or two levels, connected by a network of long broad streets and narrower side streets. Kinetisch Noord builds the main bodies of these spaces, which are then finished by the resident artists. Each block has electricity, water and sewerage connections. The work spaces vary from 50 to 150 sq. meters, with heights of 3.20 m, 6 m and even more.

Oostvleugel (East Wing) comprises 12 studios with a mezzanine completed in December 2004. It houses mainly travelling theater groups, set builders and artists who produce large pieces. The south corner is occupied by the Internationale Theaterwerkplaats, a multifunctional area of 450 sq. meters with a mezzanine, changing rooms and a bar.

The Vrije Kavelstrook (Free Lot Strip) on the south side of the hall contains llots where tenants can design and construct their own buildings.
Section 4, on the west side, is earmarked for youth-oriented projects and initiatives, such as a floating skate park that stands seven meters high. The space under the skate park is used for a variety of other activities, such as puppet shows, a hip-hop school, an internet café and chill-out areas.

Noordstrook (North Strip) is 6,000 sq. meters (with a former shipyard workshop attic space yet to be adapted) that is suitable for theater performances, exhibitions and surprise projects. Future plans include festivals and parties for the Noordstrook. 

www.ndsm.nl/  here is a link to the website.

Although the scale of this project far exceeds the scale of the cell theater, it is an interesting precedent to look at.  The NDSM Shipyard is very succesful  in ways that many  projects are not.  The project leaves the design of the space up to the users (for the most part).  It only provides a framework.  In this way the people have created a truely meaningful place.  One that is unique to the people who buy into the collaboration.  Although the result may not be “Design” (with a capital D)  the funky, ad hoc result seems appropiate for the first street area we are working in. 

Older Posts »

Blog at WordPress.com.